|01580 762 334|
Lamb House was built in 1723 by James Lamb.
Henry James leased the property and later purchased in 1899. It was here he wrote the Awkward Age, The Wing of a Dove, the Ambassadors and The Golden Bowl. In the Summer months James liked to use the Garden Room to dictate to his secretary. Sadly the Garden Room was destroyed by a bomb during World War II. After the death of Henry James, Lamb house became the home of A C Benson (who wrote the words to Land of Hope and Glory) and E F Benson. Rye and its surrounding area were the inspiration for E F Benson's Mapp and Lucia novels.
Lamb House was presented to the National Trust in 1950. Some of Henry James possessions are on display. The walled garden has a rich variety of plants including roses. Lamb House is open on Tuesdays and Saturdays from 11.00 - 17.30. Last entry is thirty minutes before closing.