|01797 223 902|
The Town Hall, which was built in 1741, was designed by Andrew Jelfe. The building is surmounted by a cupola, which housed the Jurats' Bell which was used in Quarter Sessions; a replacement bell was hung in 1981 to mark the wedding of Lady Diana to Prince Charles. The Doric doorway opens to a stair that leads to the court room, where the walls are inscribed with the names of the mayors since 1289, when Rye was incorporated. Today, the Rye Town Council meets in the court room on a regular basis.